Monday, September 24, 2007

Gary Crittenden speech to BYU MBA

On Friday, Gary Crittenden (CFO of Citigroup) spoke to the MBA Program. This guy had a lot of great advice, and while I've forgotten most of it, I wanted to write down 2 things that really sat well with me.

First, he said to make sure you exercise. He talked about the merits and life enjoyment that will come by doing it, but he also said that after work for Bain for about 6 months, he was actually told that he wouldn't get very far in the company if he kept 'porking up.' I haven't been running too much for the last 3 years-- Saturday Morning, I went running.

The best advice that I thought he gave referred to knowing what you're willing to work. He said, "Any job/company will take however much time you're willing to give it." So we need to set limits to make it home to the family and spend time with them. He said he always left by 11:59pm on Saturday so and reserved the whole Sunday for family and worship. I'm not worried about it right this second, but in the future, I need to decide what I'm willing to give to my employer or my own company. He did say that the more talented you are, the easier this is-- some companies may not be willing to accept your limits (so would you want to work for that company?)

No comments: