Friday, August 31, 2007

Interviews. Getting an MBA just made these harder!

Today, we've been doing mock interviews. I jut got out of one with a guy who has a ton of experience with some big named companies. His background is corporate strategy.

I just wanted to document some of the advice he gave me. It should be very helpful in the future.

There are going to be lots of questions (I can probably look a lot of them up) that I need to have general answers to:
  • Why BYU's MBA? Why an MBA?
  • Why now?
  • What would you like me to remember most about you? (this was his favorite question he said. He was glad I didn't just choke and give nothing, but I definitely needed a good answer to this question)
  • Why Marketing?
  • Where do you see yourself in 2.5 years?
He went on to say as a marketing major, I definitely needed to market myself confidently.

Man! I wish I could remember more of the interview. He said he really liked my answer about why I went to my undergraduate program and just said I needed to have my reasons memorized for the other pat-answer questions.

The fact is initially BYU was not my first choice, but then I fell in love with it. I don't need to tell them the first half of that story though, just tell them how I fell in love with it in the strategy class of Dr. Dyer's that I attended.

He also said that he thinks of the MBA as a 2 year business search and that the saddest thing to him is if someone either:
Does not know what they want to do at the end of that 2 years
or
Does know what they want to do, but did not gain the skills to get there.

I guess I know what I want, I'd better make it happen!




Also I observed an interview too and one question the interviewer asked that I liked was, "What are you doing to make sure you get your dream-job after you've completed the BYU MBA?"

My answer there? ------- Networking!!!!!

No comments: