Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Why a Startup?

So I'm on the bus from Provo to Salt Lake. Most of my entries on this will be written while on the bus (using this REDFLY that I'm promoting during my internship) so you know... no getting worked up about my spelling errors because ths bus bouncs a lot!

From what you can see in the other blogs, I'm one of the few students that climbed on board with a small-company. I did this because I wanted a strong look at a company going through the Venture Capital process. In fact, the only bad thing about this internship is the commute (I'm pretty whiney about it) and that I didn't take a couple of week vacation (I'm going on a cruise for-sure when I graduate now!)

I really suggest going with a startup company if you have interest in it. I do think you have to do better research into things like the market your entering, the executive/founding team, t he product and areas like that. If it doesn't work out, you won't have a big name on your resume so I believe you should study the company out well and make sure it will match you an take your career where you want it to.

The internship has been a lot of fun. I've been given a lot of responsibility and a lot of freedom to meet my objectives. Its also nice because I'm getting to touch a lot of areas of marketing. I'm doing some direct-advertising, some brand management, and some market research.

I also see what everyone was saying about learning a lot more in the job function. I've learned some cool ideas for prototyping products and researching with those. I am even learning strategy about dealing with world-wide suppliers. My last year of classes has definitely been a good framework for how to market within a start-up, but this is definitely helping to fill that Skeleton in.

If you'r interested in a start-up I really suggest it. I thoroughly enjoy the lack of red-tape that I was plagued with before. I like working with pretty advancded technology. And I like working with a clean-slate in marketing-- I'm not tied to any previous images that people may have had.

No comments: