Monday, August 25, 2008

marketing techniques blasting in from everywhere

What a fun year to be a marketing student. I should have been in bed an hour and a half ago, but I'm watching the new coverage of the Democratic National Convention and I just can't. It sucks, because I'll want to do this for the Republican one as well "to see all the views"

Anyway, I'm writing this because in just this little bit of television I've gotten to see so many marketing techniques -- and these political marekters are talented and networked. For my internship with REDFLY, we've had a strong focus on public relations. The principles I've learned there are amp'd up with nuclear, wind, solar, coal, and fossil fuel power -- this is seriously an intense campaign.

The convention itself is brilliant, nearly every news-camera in the country is aimed somewhere in Denver to record what is happening. Then becuase protestors know what where the camers are going to be, they show up to and bring even more news coverage.

Then the people-networks people have are implemented. Journalists are interviewing authors during each break in speakers. Politicians are being interviewed constantly. Public Relations is key right now; I'm not suprised that John Edwards isn't around for this his PR has been killed by his infedility.

During commercial breaks, who appears? John McCain telling me that Obama is bad and focusing on issues dear to my heart--taxes.

For the most part, I change stations between commercials so I see a lot of CNN & FoxNews. The strategies are similar on both stations, but FoxNews interviews more civilian democrats than public servants. (I always hear Fox is too conservative, but I don't feel it is. My litmus though will be to see if they press Republicans with as diffiuclt of questions)

It's interesting though, I'm seeing milllions of dollars of publicity and commercial advertising dedicated to this election. And while I think its necessary its actually kind of sad.

I guess conventions are kind of like a "sale." They are a great tool to get us focused. With all the positioning states did to get to vote sooner, I'm suprised that the parties don't fight harder to have thier convention second. I'm also suprised that the conventions don't happen closer to election day becuase these get people stoked. With all the beach-balls I see flying around, this looks even more fun than a BYU Football game-- I know the ushers would be more than happy to kick me out for doing that.

Anyway, its way too late for me. So I'm starting to ramble. I guess the point is as an MBA Marketing Student I am looking forward to the type of marketing I'm going to get to see these next few months. I guess another interesting point is it shows just how much marketing can affect your decisions--because I really don't trust these politicians. :)

Good Night!

No comments: