Below are some notes I took at a leadership seminer put on by Zig Ziglar and others in the Fall of 2007.
Spearker: Peter Lowe
- Using words alone, he improved our performance. To change your future, change the words you use
- Believe what you say has happened
- To practice, envision where you want to be -- Simulate it! (pratice before you go out and do)
- Had a lady break a board with her hand -- lesson was that it is easiest to break a board in the center (don't pussy foot around the edges)
- If you think you can't breakt the board, simulate it
- "All things are possible to those who believe" (.... Walt Disney? :) )
- Waht you believe is more important tahn how much. A winning belief system is knowing you've won even when down @ half time (some sort of football analogy (Canadian Football no-less))
- See the whole background, not just what you're focused on.
- "Quickest way to change your life is to change your relationship w/ God" (... he was preachy, but I think there is logic in this)
Speaker: Rudy Giuliani
Leaders are Made
- you have to know what you believe in
Leadership about ideas. You have to have them! Knowing public opinions and following it is not leadership!
- To be a leader, you have to be an optomist
Got to be thinking success in order to obtain it (on a side note, congrats to the Pittsburgh Penguins! wininning two nights ago)
- Courageous People can manage Fear.
They also reduce risk
Eon't let intimidators break your spirit
- Relentless Preperation -- Practice & Rehearse
If you prepare for everything you can think of, in that prepration you'll take care of what you can't (said in reference to 9/11 and how nobody saw that coming, but handled it pretty well)
- Teamwork -- you can't accomplish on just your own. E.o. accountable... even you.
- You have to love people. More important to be there for people when they are more wrong thatn right.
Speaker: Tom Hopkins
- Need ot change your attitude toware the word "no" (it's now so bad to hear it)
- Think of failure as a learning experience or change to change
* develop humor
* gam to play to win
- when someone quits, they eventually become a negative person -- want to be a positive comittied achiever!
- -- In sales, ask questions requiring a "yes" (isn't it?, don't you agree?, doesn't it?)
- Alternate force -- 2 options for agreement
- Procupine response tactic
- You're not judged by how often you fail, but how often you succeed (& they are directly proportional)
Speaker: Dr. Robert Schuller (some minister)
- When you have an unsolvable problem, you just need to talk to more people
- 5 ways to turn good inda into a Dynamie Achievement
1 - Nesting
2 - Testing
3 - Investing
4 - Arresting
5 - Resting
..................... yeah, I have no idea what this is talking about
- ......... I'm done with this guy... my notes aren't making sense.
Speaker: John Stockton
He and Rudy were my 2 favorite speakers at this. He was pretty funny
- Competition is a school
you learn from everybody
you learn what not to do
- Let kids take their bumps... don't protect the whole way
- Outcome is secondary to the effort to change that outcome
- Put whole heart & sould into everything you do and you will be a success
- Talks about how success takes a whole lot of repetition
- To be a good teammate:
Enjoy your teammates' success
Be on the same page as teammates
Know the rules
- It's amazing whatt you can accomplish if you don't care who gets the credit
- Be energetic, don't be a drag