Monday, August 27, 2007

first day of orientation

Well, I've made it through the first day of orientation. There are many things that I could talk about, but I think I'll go with one thing that Dr. Stice said. I've heard him touch on it before, but I think I caught his vision today in his opening speech.

He told the story of a recruiting trip to Mexico City and lady who traveled 9 hours by bus to see if she would be accepted to the MBA Program at BYU. He said that she had horrible English, and because of that she would probably never be in the seat of a class in the Marriott School.

He then went on to tell us that she probably wouldn't get that chance, but that she still paid tithing that gave us that chance. I think what Dr. Stice wanted us to take away from his speech is that tithing dollars are paying for our education and because of that we need to serve the saints upon our graduation and not get caught up in our own riches... which BYU will probably bring us. Also we need to learn everything we can so we can become the successful leader that the Marriott School's MBA Program is preparing us to be.

This chance is really going to open up some big doors for me. I must make sure I make the most of it and make the world a better place. Then the sacrifice of others will be worth it.

No comments: