Tuesday, October 16, 2007

principles of an advertisement

I'm having some trouble sleeping tonight. I was asleep, but woke up with many thoughts about idea for the business plan competition. For HR, I'm reading the book E-Boys and it has me thinking that I must act "fast & decisively" to conquer everything..... honestly I think I woke up in a nightmare that I have to begin work immediately. (by principle, I can't give in to the pressures of nightmares)

I had what was probably the funniest experience of my college career today. In MBA 550, Dr. Whitlark was discussing the 3 components of a good advertisement:
  • Product - people need to quickly see what your advertising
  • Company - they need to know who's product this is (I can definitely see situations where this will be the same as product, but not all)
  • Benefit - Show them why they should buy it
So we were looking at some ads that had been in various magazines. Some I was getting, some I wasn't (I discovered I am more of a sucker for creativity than good advertising than most my class)

One was for hotels-- one showing a very nice room and gentleman relaxing in it, the other showing room amenities and some catchy slogan. The one with the benefit-showing slogan won. Then, Dr. Whitlark gets up there and says, "I don't know, this one is a good advertisement if you're in the market for a half-naked man."

It was so funny! I could not stop laughing. He's good a providing a very jovial atmosphere, but this time I was in uncontrollable fits of laughter. I was still laughing about 10 minutes later. I am a little scared that I just had my best experience in the MBA program at BYU and I'm only a few weeks into it. :)

No comments: