I definitely think this list will be useful to me in the future and probably to thousands of the million of readers of this blog :)
Presentation Outline Suggestions:
Executive Summary ("Answer First"):
- Company/Industry/Transaction Overview
- Investment Thesis - Why why are we interested?
- Risks - What should we be concerned about?
- Proposed Deal Structure (Sources & Uses)
- Financial Cases (Management, Underwriting/Base, Downside)
- Financial Returns
- Is this an attractive industry to invest in?
- Porter 5 Forces
- Relative Market Share
- Speed of Change/Innovation
- Etc. --- (ok I agree, is there a need for an 'etc' in a list like this?)
- Is this an attractive company to invest in?
- Competitive Advantages
- Product Advantages
- Distribution Advantages
- Relative Cost Positon
- Technology of IP Position
- Deal Dynamics (Auction, Inside Track, Proprietary, Mgt. Reinvest, Etc.)
- Structure/Financing Terms
- Comparables (Trading & Transaction)
- Exit Scenarios
- Major Assumptions for Each Case (Mgt, Base, Downside)
- Bottoms-up P&L, B/S, CF
- Downside Protection - "How low can you go?"
- Excel Model
Obviously, this list is for a Private Equity firm, but there is still lots of applicability to those trying to raise Venture Capital. I imagine there are thousands of lists out there like this. I'm sure those are legit too, but I know this one is because of who gave it to me.