Thursday, February 7, 2008

Interview Preperation

Ok, so this MBA program at BYU-- is it paying off? YES!

I have an interview today for my dream internship. So I've been asking around for suggestions a lot. I think I interview pretty well, but one thing I need to remember in an interview is to be confident! Sometimes questions are meant to be tricky, don't be feeble as stating what doing.

One friend told me to document all my experiences into categories. These are the categories I think that apply:
  • Leadership
  • Marketing (as a marketing student -- may even break this down further into areas like product and brand management)
  • Problem Solving
  • Dealing with Problems
  • Dealing with Problematic People
Also, another friend was telling me how you want to do your homework and know what to expect from the position (do your homework to make sure you even want it) and know what is going on with the company. I've assembled the following list of what you should know about the company going into the interview:
  • What is the product? (this can be deeper than what you think)
  • Who is the customer?
  • What has the company done well in the past? (not well?)
  • What are problems are in the future? What strategy should be used in the future?
  • Why work for this company?
  • Who is the competition?
There are obviously a large amount of other questions that could come up. Some interview questions, though not effective, still get asked (what is your greatest weakness?). but for that I'm sure you can search for interview questions.

Ok time to focus my studies on these areas.

No comments: